Best 5 American Visas for International Students

If you ask ten internationals to mention the names of the countries they desire to pursue their studies, nine will likely say the United States. It’s no news that many international students wish to study in the US because of its education system, job opportunities, accommodation, affordable tuition fees and learning-encouraging world-class facilities. However, getting the visa application process to study in the US right can be exhausting because there are many Visas options.

This blog article contains the best five American Visas for international students who want to study in the United States. The F-1 Visa and H-1B Visa, as well as their benefits, requirements and limitations, are included in this post. Reading through this post and going for one of the five Visas will give you access to study in the US and a chance to make more beneficial decisions as you study in the US. This article will help you with your American Visas application.

F1 Visa: Study in the US and do Part-Time Work

F1 Visa is a study visa for international students. It’s the commonest visa that offers international students who hold it the opportunity to study in their preferred colleges, universities and other institutions in the US. With the F1 Visa, you can work up to 20 hours per week on-campus during academic sessions and full-time breaks. When you graduate from your college or university, you will be given an Optional Practical Training (OPT) period to acquire work experience.

M1 Visa: Non-Academic School Programs or Vocational Programs

The M1 Visa is created for international students applying for non-academic or vocational programs. With this visa, you can attend technical institutions, vocational programs, and other non-academic schools. Students with the M1 Visa can do part-time work on-campus and off-campus. However, they have Optional Practical Training (OPT) opportunities.

J1 Visa: Internship Program and Work-Based Exchange Program

If you seek an internship or work-based exchange program, J1 Visa is a good option. It will allow you to participate in various cultural exchanges and educational programs, encouraging mutual understanding between the United States and other countries. With the J1 Visa, you can work on-campus and off-campus. It will also allow internship and training programs. When students with this visa graduate, they can attend a 12-month academic training program related to their study fields.

H1B Visa: Employment Sponsorship after Graduation

If you seek employment-based sponsorship after graduation, H1B Visa is a good option. With your Bachelor’s or higher degree, you can work in the United States for six years with this visa. The H1B visa is not open for individuals who do not have a Bachelor’s degree or higher certificate.

O1 Visa: Exceptional Ability or Accomplishments

This visa is for international students with exceptional ability and accomplishments. Students with the O1 Visa can work in various areas of expertise in the United States. However, you must have been nationally or internationally recognized or awarded. You can apply for this visa if you have significantly contributed to your fields.

Which Visa Should I Apply to?

We cannot say this is your best visa since we need to know your professional and academic goals. However, one of the above visas is the best visa for you. Therefore, please carefully read through the visas again and choose the one you meet the requirements.

Best Steps: How to apply for American visas

There are two steps to applying for an American visa. Firstly, receive an acceptance from your chosen college or university. Secondly, pay for and complete your American visa application and attend the visa interview in your country. You must prepare well for the interview; they ask direct questions. And make sure you provide and submit the required documents for the visa application.


International students who want to study in the US are advised to go through the above visas. They are the best visas for students who wish to study in America. The visas have their audiences, advantages and limitations. Applicants should choose the visas that fit their qualifications and follow the application steps.

FAQs: Answers to Frequently Asked Questions about American Visas

Q: I am not in the US. Can I still apply for an American Visas?
A: Yes. There is nowhere you cannot apply for an American visas. You can also attend the visa application interview from the country you are in.

Q: Can I change my visa status while in the United States?
A: Yes. You can change your visa status when you get to the US. All you have to do is to apply with the US Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Q: Can I apply for a visa if I do not have the requirements?
A. No. You will not be given. You can only be offered a visa if you possess the requirements.

Q: Does it take long to get an American visa?
Yes, it takes long to get an American visas. You may have to wait for weeks or months, though; it is determined by the type of visa you are applying for and the period you are using for it.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button