More than $600,000 in scholarships are given each year by the National Italian American Foundation (NIAF) to deserving students in a wide range of academic fields.
Scholarships range from $2,500 to $12,000, depending on your academic background and financial need.
There is no limit to the amount of money a student can receive in the form of financial aid. All scholarship recipients are eligible for a one-year award of financial aid.
One academic year’s scholarship funds are not transferable to the next academic year’s scholarship funds. Applicants and winners of scholarships can and are encouraged to reapply in the future.
Application Deadline (11:59 pm EST): Tuesday, March 1, 2022
Applicants typically fall into two general categories:
- Italian American students who demonstrate outstanding potential and high academic achievements. Area of study: open.
- Those students from any ethnic background majoring or minoring in the Italian language, Italian studies, Italian American studies, or a related field, demonstrate outstanding potential and high academic achievements.
To be considered for a NIAF scholarship, a student must meet the following criteria:
- Be a member of NIAF or have a parent, guardian, or grandparent who is a member of NIAF. Not a member? Visit the membership page to join or renew your membership
- Be enrolled in a US accredited institution of higher education for the Fall 2021 semester.
- Have a grade-point average of at least 3.5 out of 4.0 (or the equivalent). Some scholarships require a lower GPA requirement for eligibility. Students that are a part of a pass-fail system are also welcome to apply.
- Be a United States citizen or permanent resident alien.
- Have at least one ancestor who has immigrated from Italy.
For complete details on the application process and needed materials, visit this page.