The Regent’s Scholarships It was founded in 1962 by the University of California to honor incoming undergraduates who had demonstrated exceptional academic ability and promise.
It is the Office of Admissions’ responsibility to organize the award at UCSB. For incoming freshmen, the scholarship now comes with a $5,000 yearly stipend over the course of four years.
All scholarships for the 2021-22 academic year have been given out. Decisions must be taken seriously because they have no room for appeal. Do not bother appealing.
Regents Scholarship Program Benefits
The financial prize is not all that is given to the recipients of the Regents Scholarship.
- Housing in university residence halls for first year consideration, priority consideration for housing in university residence halls or apartments for subsequent years, and priority consideration of desired room type throughout tenure of Regents Scholarship are all considerations.
- Application deadlines and class level eligibility requirements must be satisfied.
- The Davidson Library at the University of California, Santa Barbara, has extended borrowing rights to satisfy research needs.
- To be eligible for membership, students must meet the following requirements: (RSA)
The Regents Scholars Association (RSA) provides:
- Programs for academic and non-profit institutions
- A chance to become involved in the community while also learning about leadership and networking skills
The Selection Process
- First-year applicants are thoroughly evaluated by the selection committee members of the Regents Scholars program.
- Before a decision is made, the application for admission is thoroughly examined. Regents Scholarship applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents; California Assembly Bills 130 or 131 eligible non-citizen students; and have superior academic records to be eligible.
- Students who fall into one of these categories are eligible for the Regents Scholarship.
- The Regents Scholarship applications of all incoming freshmen at UCSB are scrutinized during the fall quarter. A further explanation is unnecessary.
- For the most part, students in the top 2% of freshmen applications are eligible. When students discover out if they’ve been accepted, March is the time of year. No one can challenge or reverse the Regents Scholarship Committee’s decisions. There will be no appeals.
READ MORE: Government RTP Scholarships for Postgraduate Research
Maintaining Regents Scholarship Eligibility
Regents Scholars must maintain a 3.20 GPA on a quarterly and cumulative basis in order to stay eligible for their award. Normally, students have two quarters to boost their cumulative GPA above 3.20 if it is their first time doing so.
Additionally, students are often given one quarter to increase their quarterly GPA above the 3.20 threshold for the first or second time they fall below that threshold. A faculty committee will assess any unusual circumstances.
An extra quarter may be offered to students whose grades have improved noticeably, at the discretion of a faculty review committee. It’s possible for students who’ve lost a scholarship to get it reinstated.